Introducing the NC OneMap Data Explorer!
3/2/2012 3:12 PM
The Data Explorer
is a map-based application that enables users to intuitively search for
geospatial data. The search results in the Data Explorer
are the same ones found in the Geospatial Portal
, but you may also add web services directly to the new online map.
Features of the Data Explorer:
- A simple layout with a large map window helps bring discovered data into focus
- A “Details” button enables you to turn data layers on or off, and also displays a map legend
- Select a base map of your choice
- Search for data in the Data Explorer (or Geospatial Portal) and, if the results contain an "Add To Map" link, add it directly to the map view
- The lower left section of the map view includes a box showing the coordinate values as the cursor is moved and a scale bar
- The Data Explorer uses the Web Mercator projection to accommodate data from other sources that would not be available if the projection were State Plane coordinates
- Add your own ArcGIS or OGC WMS map/image service (or any service that is not available from the Geospatial Portal)
The old NC OneMap viewer has been retired. The new Data Explorer is a vital addition to NC OneMap to serve statewide users with the best available geospatial data. Additional functions for the Data Explorer will be included in the next release later this year.
Review by the NC Geographic Information Coordinating Council’s Technical Advisory Committee found that the Data Explorer is “very fast and very responsive …easy to use …and is based on good technical decisions about the tools, base layers, and projections.”
So, please give the new NC OneMap Data Explorer
a try. As always, we welcome and appreciate your feedback